Monday 14 July 2014

Lovely things from lovely peeps

Oh, sweep away the cobwebs from this blog. I didn't intend to stay away from this place for so long.  Real life just got in the way, various minor illnesses and too many other events.  I kept wondering if I will lose all my readers by being so neglectful. Maybe?  I hope not.  This post has been languishing half written for at last a month.  So I pulled myself together, left the dirty dishes in the sink and got typing.



I was very lucky and won some great sewing goodies.  Firstly this pattern, Butterick 5612 from Philippa.  She didn't tell me in advance so it was a lovely surprise when it dropped through the letterbox.  I have already sewn up view A and still have to blog about it.  


Then I received a handknitted cardigan from Jessica that she had offered as part of
Spring Cleaning Swap Meet.  I still have to photograph the cardigan.  She was generous enough to include some fabrics.  There is a black knit fabric, some stripey jersey and this cute cotton.  Hmmmm......my mind is whirring with ideas.  There is enough of the black for a pair of jersey trousers - and I have several pattern choices.  I just have to choose either a drapey flowey (is that  a real word?) pair or a more fitted style.  The stripes I have earmarked for a top if I can figure out cutting and pattern placement.  I was thinking of using the japanese doll cotton for a skirt for Little I.


Next I won the "white bundle" in Alessa's giveaway.  There is a large piece of the grey/pink floral striped cotton.  It is a really nice light weight and I was thinking of a dress.
The other pieces are smaller and I am planning to use them for my little girls.
This black and white cotton was also in Alessa's bundle and I have used it already.  Do you want a peek of what I made?  Well, here it is...


...it is  the Butterick top from Philippa's pattern.  I will witter on write a constructive review soon about it.  I have doubts as to whether it suits me greatly but I have worn it lots anyway as it is so light and ideal for summer days when I don't want to have arms out.  Oh and please feel free to laugh at my unfortunate bad haircut. Happily it is now grown out a bit.  It was cheap and sometimes you gets what you pays for.  A lesson learnt. I have to say a big thank you to Jessica, Alessa and Philippa.  
So a big thank y

7 comments:

  1. How lovely to win such great stuff!! I'm looking forward to reading your witterings about the Butterick top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I need to get composing those mutterings soon

      Delete
  2. How lovely to be sent such nice things. One of the things I really like about blogging is the spirit of sharing, not just things but advice (.which I need lol). The cotton you choose is really pretty. It will be interesting to read your review and to find out how you got on with the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was very lucky, I agree about the spirit of sharing among sewing bloggers. I must get on and finish the review. x

      Delete
  3. Your haircut looks cute! Although I've definitely been there in the "you get what you pay for" haircut situation... I had some real doozies when I was getting my hair cut for free at a beauty school! :o

    I like the top on you! It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a strange haircut as some days it looked good and some days it looked awful. I think it needed more styling and blowdrying than I have time for! I am having fun imagining
      your terrible free hairstyles! x

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your good luck! I'm so happy that you could already find some use for some of my fabric! :)

    ReplyDelete