Thursday 24 July 2014

A fast breezy skirt

I had avoided the maxi skirt for a long time.  But last summer started enviously noticing them on other people.  I have the skin type that should be covered up from the sun, freckly and fair and so the idea of a skirt that covers my legs but allows me to stay cool is very appealing in our current hot spell.  Other days I just slather on the children's factor fifty.  
I used a length of light cotton sent in Alessa's parcel.  I had been mulling over a maxi skirt but thought I had no fabric till it dawned on me last friday to use this fabric.    I simply seed up a rectangle adding a side pocket on one side and a casing at the waist for elastic.  Then I tried it on and decided it was too wide so I sliced about four inches off one side and resewed the seam.  I hemmed it and the whole process took about an hour.
Since completing it I have worn it three times in six days as it is so practical for hot days.  BUT I have to confess around the house I keep hitching it up and even hoisted it into my knicker elastic!  So maybe I am not a natural ong skirt wearer.  I am not 100% certain if the maxi looks good or bad on me, and as I am quite short I am not sure if I look  even shorter in a maxi.  But I think it is partly getting used to wearing a different silhouette and length.  My goto, default skirt is a low waisted A line hitting the knees and I must have made about 5 of these plus I have a couple of old RTW ones too.  Do you have a default style skirt? And have you stepped out of your skirt comfort zone with success?

11 comments:

  1. I have two maxi dresses and I get kind of worried about tripping on them or having them drag on the filthy NYC streets. BUT- I can't lie. I get sick of shaving my legs every other day and it's nice to have them out of view sometimes in the summer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee, heee. I am definitely the person who would trip over her skirt hem. It is only a matter of time :) I agree about the bonus of hiding unshaven legs. x

      Delete
  2. I have a couple of jersey maxi skirts which I wore quite a bit in the spring but now it's full on summer I seem to prefer a knee length skirt - I think partly because I know I can only wear them for such a short space of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the look of jersey maxi skirts...I am tempted to make one if I can find some fabric.. Are you enjoying your knee length skirts now summer is here?

      Delete
  3. I love it! I need to make a maxi too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do need to make one too! I want to see you floating round a chateau gardens in a maxi! xx

      Delete
  4. I've been avoiding maxis too as I am so short (no other way of putting that, really) but I love them on other people. This one is no exception, it looks so soft and feminine, I imagine it is lovely to wear in the heat. As for default skirt styles, definitely a-line (preferably on or very near the waist) and just above the knee does it for me every time. It's the only skirt style in which it looks as though I have reasonable legs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm. This thing is not accepting my comments. Third time's a charm? I'm also all for dresses that hide unshaved legs but quite sure I would not be able handle the maxi dress, I would trip over the skirt hemd for sure. But now I feel like trying anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's weird that I've never tried a maxi skirt as, like you, I am always in factor 50 as my skin is not very sun friendly. Although, I don't know what my friends would laugh at if I didn't have my comedy flip flop tan lines!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the same worries about maxis, at 5'2" I don't really need to look any shorter! Now I love them, I think they can look effortlessly elegant when dressed up and are comfy no matter what! I'll confess I hitch mine up when wandering around the house too though, knicker elastic has multiple uses thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love maxi skirts and dresses.....they cover up a multitude of sins from droopy rumps to saggy old knees.They keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter especially with thick tights and boots and you get through your fabric stash quicker when making them too!
    Looks nice on wear more!!

    ReplyDelete