Sunday 23 February 2014

FO: Victory Patterns Lola Dress


The headlines screech "Woman suffocated by her own junk."

I know, I know, the Victory patterns Lola dress...all the excitement about it was last year.  I am always so late to the party.  I was tipped into buying it by Alessa's multiple versions.  I hate to spend much on a pattern but bought it as a Christmas present ostensibly from my children to me.  Then I just could not decide what fabric to use.  I pretty much prevaricated more than Hamlet.  I looked at lots of options online and looked at lots of other sewers' versions, trying to see what I thought of their fabric choices.
 
Or maybe "Woman gives up on clearing junk.  Children eventually tunnel out of house.  Woman still sewing, oblivious" 
Finally, I chose the same "subtle animal print" from Minerva Crafts that I used for my  Ottobre tunic top.  I liked the weight of the fabric and knew it would be not too warm to wear nor too lightweight.
The pattern was straightforward and quick to sew up. The instructions are clearly written. I cut it out on a tuesday evening and sewed the dress up in two sessions over the next two days.  I don't have an overlocker so just used the zigzag stitch on my machine.  Then I stopped for about two weeks as I had no ribbing fabric for the neck, cuffs and hem.  I didn't want to do the edgings in the main fabric.  Again I pondered, browsed online shops and found it really hard to decide.  Then I remembered the jersey rib sold in the Ottobre Etsy shop and ordered half a metre.  It took 6 days to arrive, not bad, as it came from Finland. It went on - and there you go.  The dress is easy to wear, the fabric is the right weight for the oversized pockets so they drape rather than bag out.  I like the shape that the princess seams give the dress - I can see that I have a waist when I wear this!  I can wash it and dry it quickly and (yippeeeeeeee) it doesn't need ironing.  I will definitely make it again, probably in a brighter colour for spring and summer and I am tempted to copy Alessa's polka dot version.  Now, that's my review over, do you want to see my out take photos of the Lola?
Possibly the worst picture but so funny.  What is my face doing in this picture?  Where has my fringe gone? Why am I standing in front of a fighter plane?  


And look,  my own mission control.  "We meet at last, Meester Bond"  It's blurry as that's what often happens when a six year old takes the picture
Can anyone else share their out take photos?

15 comments:

  1. So glad I popped by your blog, some really funny posts, thanks! I also loved the picture of 'toddler on couch'. What will Monday's post be about......?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you popped by too. I keep adding to the pile for monday!

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is so cute on you! It's a really easy dress to wear and care for- gotta love something that looks great without ironing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I love the non-ironing bit. xx

      Delete
  3. I agree, this looks great on you! Spunky! The first picture is my favorite.;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am part way through one of these - very strange fit around the bust for me. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to seeing yours! Are you altering for the bust fit?

      Delete
  5. Your pictures made me smile - they say it all about life with young children :) I think your new dress is lovely - a very flattering shape and fit. Even better if it's non-iron!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect dress Debbie ! It looks so cute and er practical and we love cute and practical it has to be said!!
    Really loved your photos and alternative headlines!! Must have taken you ages to stage the toys that way!! And the last photo has something of the doctor who about it, are you really in the Tardis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the carefully constructed toy mess took ages :)Do you know what, I am in a capsule which plays a sound and pictures story of the Cuban Missile Crisis! Cheery day out? It stands next to videos of mushroom clouds in a RAF museum.

      Delete
  7. Look at you!!! What an awesome dress - and in a sophisticated charcoal animal print no less. I swoon with envy. The Lola is such a great pattern - the more people I see make it up, the more I'm convinced that it belongs in my arsenal. So you know, you've inspired somebody to the party even later than yourself :-). Hope you're doing well!! And haha, I should dig up some of my outtakes, there are some pretty hilarious ones. Lladybird's got some awesome ones, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute! Love your version - that fabric is very cool, and I love it with the red tights! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how much fun to be called an inspiration. ;) Yay for your Lola, I love it! The fabric looks lovely, just the right weight. And fun photo locations!

    ReplyDelete